Our Lady(ies) of the Oppressed Rhyme

art and rhyme by Rev. Dr. Victoria Marie

 Paint a brown-eyed susan
Was the thought in my head
When I picked up the brush
That idea quite simply fled
Thoughts of our troubled world
I just couldn’t dispel
So I let my hands dictate
The story the painting will tell

Semite God-Bearer, Aztec Great Mother
Merge as one on hill Tepeyac
In hopes for love to break through
Colonizers hearts even a crack
Mothers Mary, Tonantzin
Love, peace in their gaze
Saying stop this war and oppression
Setting our Old not new world ablaze

For Semite, Indigenous or African,
Then like today, xenophobia is endemic
All lives matter except ours
Deny it or not, racism is systemic
Yet I pray, Great Mothers,
Our Lady of Guadalupe, Tonantzin
Though our kinship supremacists deny
I pray open their hearts to let the love in.

Their hatred hurts them
Their hatred hurts us
The fruit of that hatred
Is lives and hearts turned to dust
I pray for the love required
To pray for them that hurts us
that our love, hope and strength
remains, does not desert us

Our Lady of Guadalupe
Great Mother Tonantzin
Our Ladies of Hope
Pray we persevere in letting love in.
The brown-eyed susan painting
As yet is not done
This time was better spent
With these sacred Mothers
Who in truth, are one

 


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023-06-04_Trinity Sunday_Pride Month

7 July 2013 – 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

The High Cost of Free Trade for Indigenous and Afro-Colombians