Raven Encounter

By Rev. Dr. Victoria Marie, February 6, 2020


Our ancestors knew the lessons Nature can teach us
But we’re too busy to even let one page reach us
Listen, give heed, to what Nature will relate I’m told.
Walk, listen, in a mindfulness state, behold.

What, where is that “krraa” coming from
In the distance, Raven beckons me, come
Atop a western red cedar tree, Raven sat crying
Knowing, mourning Red Cedar, his friend, was dying

For thousands of years we lived with the Squamish Nation
In harmonious relationship, generation after generation
Now were losing our homes, food, our very being
Why do humans destroy without caring or seeing?”

Raven continues, “I hope you see we are all connected.
Will you work to see Nature’s community protected?”
I walk back, pondering Raven words, his community’s needs
prayerful allies, I decide, committed to love-caused deeds

Through the window, before leaving for home, we spy
Raven atop a branch, looking in as if saying “goodbye”
I look at Raven with joy before I depart
Renewed, determined, a promise in my heart

It’s rhymes like this that bring some relief
And prevent paralysis caused by climate grief

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2023-06-04_Trinity Sunday_Pride Month

7 July 2013 – 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

The High Cost of Free Trade for Indigenous and Afro-Colombians