One Pastor's Thoughts

Art and poem by The Reverend Dr. Victoria Marie

Great style in preaching
is not my forte
But I hope it's not style
but what I say
I am now at a loss
spechless, how do I relate
a mix of emotions
crush my heart with such weight
can I help soothe the myriad,
reactions to the madness
to killing after killing
in the Black community
killers go too many times
with leniency or impunity
endangered species
is how we feel
hunted, not valued
we know your apathy is real
this last killing
leaves us feel broken
when will you act
on the outrage you've spoken
You say you're an ally
even shed a tear
yet we continue to die
unarmed, over 50 each year
We're killed by police
who are supposed to protect us
yet we live in fear
that one of them will select us
Black pastors around the nation
“keep protests peaceful” implore
white supremist infiltrate
aiming to start a race war
set fires burning store after store
peaceful protesters and their allies
will certainly get the blame
giving the police an excuse
to do more of the lethal same
life, liberty and the pursuit
of happiness it seems
is the right of whites,
for blacks only dreams
It's up to white folks
to provide the solution.
put action behind the words
that will bring resolution
If your pets were treated like us
you'd rush into action
all we are asking is
give us the same satisfaction
we are not asking for much
just stop the brutality
to act like you believe
Blacks' humanity, a reality
“Thy will be done on earth
as it is in heaven”
many of us pray each day
how would you measure up
if you were judged
by these words today?
Love each other
is Jesus' command
I ask you, I ask me on this
how do we stand?
These ponderings I hope
become acts instead of oughts
these words, a reflection
of one pastor's thoughts






Comments

Jan Constantinescu said…
Rev. Vikki is one of my pastors. This is heartbreaking. It must stop. Lead us out, Lord.

Popular posts from this blog

2023-06-04_Trinity Sunday_Pride Month

7 July 2013 – 14th Sunday in Ordinary Time

The High Cost of Free Trade for Indigenous and Afro-Colombians